Friday, October 30, 2009

Diversity versus Ecodevelopments

I have followed major Seattle developments from the ones in South Lake Union to ones over in Columbia City. I have been struck with this reoccuring question as to what is an ecoproject versus a project that is good for the community around it. I moved to Seattle about 7 years ago for the eco-movement here and have stayed. One thing that first struck me was the homogenous nature to the place where I was at. Go to Ballard, go to Fremont, Capitol Hill, all places where a 20-something would go but mainly one that is white. I wondered, why is it that these are the places where I am "suppose to" go to?

I recalled that I was drawn to live in the Southeast (Beacon Hill, Ranier Valley, etc.) because of the diversity of people that I would come in contact with. I was a white person in a sea of diversity, a place where I grew up and one that I seek. In a city with just over 70% white population (see census), it is interesting how the majority are moving to "up and coming neighborhoods" because a project is "Eco" or well more affordable. So is it better to move to those neighborhoods because it is more affordable and you can afford a new eco home, but that potentially causes others to move because their neighborhood is changing, pushing them out.

At Bainbridge Graduate Institute, some students and I are delving into the issue of creating Diversity in Communities. Can a community be built that fosters, grows and maintains diversity? I hope that this question can come to every development as it chooses a market that is different than the types of people that currently reside in the area. I hope to share the results of our Creative Sessions about this issue in future updates. Click on the tag "diversity" to see all the blogs about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment